WELCOME TO
THE INDUSTRIAL FORUM
SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND READ OTHER COLLEAGUES' COMMENTS
ABOUT CONCEPTS IMPORTANT TO YOU AND YOUR INDUSTRY.
ForumsITGeneral • How does a network work?
HOW DOES A NETWORK WORK?
By: dexrobinson
What is the overall concept behind how a network works? I know their is an Ethernet cord that plugs into my computer from a modem and it gives it internet. But how does that Ethernet cord give me internet?
March 6, 2014 at 3:17pm
By: jdorman
In it's simplest form.

The Internet is simply a very large group of interconnected computers.

The cord that plugs into your computer leads to a large series of networking equipment which connects you to every other internet connected PC.

The same way you can connect several computers together in your home (or an XBox, A TV, a printer, a laptop and desktop) you connect on a larger scale to every other device connected to the "Internet" or "Public Internet" network!

Of course there is a lot more that goes into it!

Here's a little bit more technical explanation:
Your computer is connected to an access level switch in our local server room. That switch along with others is connected to a distribution switch. That switch in turn is connected to a firewall (acting as a core switch and router) which in turn connects to a ISP (Internet Service Provider) network device. This final device connects our office to the public internet where routing/BGP/DNS/etc all act in concert to provide you with www.myodesie.com for training!
March 6, 2014 at 3:51pm
By: adrianswift
So..
Whats a packet? and how come the internet isnt flooded with lots and lots of traffic whizzing about? How does the web site get from the page to me specifically?.

March 7, 2014 at 10:48am
A very thorough and educational description of packets/payloads and some internet terminology is available at http://www.warriorsofthe.net I highly recommend viewing this video if you are interested in how internet traffic works!
March 10, 2014 at 1:31pm
By: cheriselookhong
Was that site built back in the archaic days of geocities and angelfire? I suddenly felt warped back to 2001 or something. Should I download that 'movie' on my work computer?
March 10, 2014 at 2:41pm
Nope. You can see the HD copy on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBWhzz_Gn10
March 10, 2014 at 2:43pm
By: sawyerzent
Good video, thanks!
April 14, 2014 at 3:55pm