WELCOME TO
THE INDUSTRIAL FORUM
SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND READ OTHER COLLEAGUES' COMMENTS
ABOUT CONCEPTS IMPORTANT TO YOU AND YOUR INDUSTRY.
ForumsITGeneral • Buying a laptop
BUYING A LAPTOP
By: adrianswift
Buying a laptop can be a big investment. They are cool toys, and can be an essential tool also. It depends on how use you it.
Most people will end up in 'Best-Purchase' or some other such store and be accosted by a sales vulture who wants to see you leave with a laptop.

But how do you know what kind of laptop you need?
The first thing to look at is how you use your current device?. Processor speed is nothing if you dont have the memory to back it up.
Theres no point in a 3.2 gigahertz processor with just 2 Gigabytes of memory. Youll be waiting on the hard disk all day.
If you surf the internet a lot and like to keep a lot of windows open (or tabs) you need plenty of memory.
If you do a lot of number crunching, or gaming you need speed. If you do a lot of graphics work you need memory and also need to look at the display, can your laptop handle the demand?.
How portable do you need to be?. Bigger isnt always better.. Something Apple learnt with the iPad. a 17" laptop may be nice, but it can quickly become cumbersome and heavy. A 13" screen is light and portable but for reading text can be a strain on the eyes at times.

Battery life is also important.. Watching movies on a laptop is cool as heck in an airport, but when your watching the Hulk smash the giant monster for the 5th time and the battery suddenly dies it can be frustrating.
The more resources your laptop has the faster it will eat the battery.

I would mention Hard disk size, but any laptop worth anything will come with at least 500Gig, and thats plenty for average use.

Pay attention to its construction. Some laptops "seem" fantastic with a great price.. Until you look at the construction. Plastic cases, flimsy screens.. Yuck. not good for a "portable" device.

If you have kids.. Look at the screen hinges too.. Are they solid and robust?. Often people will carry the laptop by the screen, or try to force the screen further open than its designed.

Touchy touchy...
A lot of laptops are touting "touch screen". They can be great.. But be cautious. Look at the screen. Is it durable?, easy to clean?.. Is it multi-touch?.. Does it "require" a stylus?.

This isnt a guide in any way. These are things I believe a lot of people should keep in mind when dealing with a purchase or investment like a laptop and defiantly questions they need to keep in mind when dealing with sales people in stores. On that note..

Happy motoring....
March 12, 2014 at 9:48am
By: andrewwong
I think I would be going with SSDs over HDDs in new laptops if I was looking for one. I know there is less space, but the prices have gotten really good for SSDs with the space they have now.
March 12, 2014 at 10:23am
By: adrianswift
SSDs are a lot faster and can really help performance. But price vs size is still a little high. But you can find smaller drives at a good price.

I use the term "good price" instead of cheap. Stay away from cheap SSDs.. ;)

You also need to remember that SSDs like USB sticks are still bound by the limited number of read / write cycles.
A new gadget on the market is the "Hybrid" drive, a HDD with a small SSD build into it for the OS.

One of the most important things to consider with SSDs is having windows properly configured to use then. If windows is not properly setup, a 3 to 5 year SSD can have its life span reduced by half..

All that said, I dont have to remind anyone to.....
"Back up anything you cant live without on a separate device"!
March 12, 2014 at 11:19am