WELCOME TO
THE INDUSTRIAL FORUM
SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND READ OTHER COLLEAGUES' COMMENTS
ABOUT CONCEPTS IMPORTANT TO YOU AND YOUR INDUSTRY.
ForumsITGeneral • IKE or How my data stays secret in a public network...
IKE OR HOW MY DATA STAYS SECRET IN A PUBLIC NETWORK...
By: adrianswift
IKE or Internet Key Exchange is a method of exchanging a secret key or code between end points via a public network. Before computers can start sending securely encrypted messages back and forth they need to have a common ‘key’ used to perform the encryption process.
If I try to send you a message that I have encoded with a my own Key, but I don’t tell you the key how can you decode it? But how do I send you the key across public space without anyone else seeing it?.
This is where IKE comes in.
Imagine Bob the spy wants to exchange coded messages with Jill and he has to use USPS, he wants to make sure nobody else can read the messages if they are intercepted. Bob has to send Jill his key-code so she can decrypt his messages and encrypt her messages using the same code so Bob can read them. Bob gets himself a brief case with 2 combination locks. He puts his secret code into the case and then secures one of the locks. He then sends the securely locked case to Jill. Once Jill gets the case she cannot open it because she doesn’t know Bobs combination. So she needs Bob to unlock it. Jill secures the other lock with her combination and sends it back to Bob with both locks secured. Bob gets the case and opens the lock he sealed earlier, and then sends it back to Jill. Once Jill gets the case she can open her lock and retrieve the secret code that Bob put in the case. The two can now freely exchange messages using the shared code.
So to exchange the code, the case is sent back and forth 3 times. But once they both have the code they can stop using the 3 way brief case and use a 1 way postcard, even if someone tries to read the card they can’t understand it because they don’t know how to decode it.
Cool huh?.
August 22, 2014 at 10:30am
By: eddieng
That is very interesting. Thanks for explaining it in simple terms.
August 22, 2014 at 3:48pm
By: johnsams
It sure seems to take a of work in order to maintain level of security. Just saw a rerun last night on 60 Minutes concerning the number of companies that are tracking our movements on the Internet. It might be safer,to send the postcard, fewer people wold see it.
August 25, 2014 at 10:45pm
By: sawyerzent
@John, that I believe is still the problem with security, if you have to send all these packets and confirmations back and forth, they can still tell where it is going to and from. I've heard about something recently called quantum key distribution which should make it possible to know if a third party intercepts the key. Kind of like how quantum particles are altered just by being observed. Is this something being used yet, or is it a technology in development?
September 30, 2014 at 5:54pm
By: johnsams
I would like to be able to tell who is collecting information on me and I would really like to see who they are selling it to. I understand that it is to make the internet "more personal" but it would be nice if I was at least asked first before my info got sold.
October 1, 2014 at 2:09pm